March 20, 2007

Spoke Too Soon...

Well, looks like a lifetime of sports fandom has taught me nothing: I jinxed myself. Yes, my first-ever conversation with the Village Voice's brand new editor was my last, as it looks like they'll be ditching the sports section -- or, at least, me.

So "Out of Left Field" lived fast, died young, and left a decent-looking corpse. But I'm bringing Eephus Pitch back from the dead. It will rise from the ashes like a phoenix... a New York baseball-obsessed phoenix. I promise my metaphors will be better in the morning.

I'm still recovering from an epic night of drowning my sorrows, so I'll be back for real tomorrow. But in the meantime I'll leave you with some applicable sports cliches that occurred to me last night, somewhere between the wine and the shots of Jameson (not my idea):

  • "It's a marathon, not a sprint."
  • "I've just got to stay within myself." Never was entirely sure what that one meant, but if it's good enough for Bernie, it's good enough for me.
  • "It is what it is." Isn't it? This is the sports phrase of the year. Five words that fit any occasion!

As you can imagine, there are a lot of other things I'd like to say about the situation at the Voice. But for now, I guess discretion is the better part of valor. I'll save it for the nice men in white coats when they visit my cozy padded cell.

Meanwhile, Oliver Perez is having another very good start for the Mets, allowing (as of this writing) no runs on two hits through three. The Yankees are off tonight, and so am I.

6 comments:

From the Vined Smithy said...

They obviously don't know a good thing when they see one.

I'm really sorry, Emma. Don't stop writing. This spot is way more interesting than most "real" sites. I bet you knew that; you've read some of those sites.

Lois said...

Well damn, girl, that sucks. Big mistake on VV's part and all that. I say that cuz I hadn't visited its site in ages, that is, until I came across the link to your column on Bronx Toaster. And then I was thinking, oh okay, maybe the Voice is finally gonna make a comeback by recruiting all these unique/fresh voices. So much for that thought! Ahh well, the sports pages in alternative newspapers have long been an uneven playing field, but even still, sorry to see the ball take such a bad hop.

Keep doing you're thing and I'll keep visiting you here. I very much like your style.

Maggie said...

Emma!
This is what is wrong with journalism today! I am officially boycotting the Village Voice and all of its west coast affiliates.

Julian Graham said...

If it's any consolation, I hadn't been that drunk in a long time. And Tom fucking puked.

And I'm mos' def your seat-mate on the "Slow Descent."

Emma said...

Hey, thanks everyone. And, Julian, me neither... wow. Made me all nostalgic for senior year of college.

Anonymous said...

glad you're back, though.