May 21, 2007

Good To Know He Likes Bull Durham, Though

You know it's been a bad week for the Yankees when the New York Times commends them for having "regained some self-respect" -- excellent! -- by avoiding a sweep. Still, things are looking up for the Yanks, kinda, a bit, after last night's win. Tyler Clippard, an awkward, thin, all-angles kind of pitcher, had an excellent major league debut, giving up one run on three hits in six innings. Whether he's really good, or whether the Mets were simply unfamiliar with him and his odd, distracting delivery, I don't know, nor do I care just now, because they actually won. Yes, a whole game! Much rejoicing. Clippard even had a double.

Also, via WasWatching, someone needs to explain to the guy how to make his MySpace page private. I started writing a paragraph about his profile, but felt too much like a mean little voyeur -- buy some curtains, kid!

Meanwhile, John Maine is coming back down to Earth a bit, which I guess was inevitable. I do genuinely believe he's a very legit starter, and will have a strong season overall, but 5-0 with a sub-2 ERA was a bit extreme. The Mets will now face the Braves, and they're in pretty good shape -- two and half games up in the standings -- but since they got a bit beaten up by Atlanta earlier in the season, I suppose still have a little something to prove.

As for the Yanks, they need a sweep against the Red Sox now. I'd be shocked if they got one, so I'm going to pretend that instead, they just need to take two of three. Even if they did sweep, they would still be 7 1/2 games out of first, and one win shy of .500. However. As Mike Francesa just put it on the fan, lecturing the Mad Dog and using my kind of metaphor: "How do you not learn through the years -- you have sat here for 18 going on 19 years... How do you not learn, that in the baseball season, you do not cash the chips in May? You do not cash the chips in July. You can't even take them to the window in August." He went on a while longer, but I got distracted by how much I miss Vegas. Mmmmm, blackjack...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's no wonder he loves Bull Durham, look at his Baseball Annies!

http://friends.myspace.com/Modules/ViewFriends/FriendsView.aspx?%3ffuseaction=user.viewfriends&friendID=21745547

And pinstripes not withstanding, Tyler is no ARod or Carlos Beltran.

Anonymous said...

Why is that the Yankees win two in a row and suddenly everyone says they're "back in the race"?

Emma said...

Well, I think because everyone involved, including newspapers and ESPN, makes more money if the Yanks are, ostensibly, still right in the thick of things.

I mean, I certainly don't think the season is over yet. But I don't see how 9 1/2 games back constitutes a "race", either...

Anonymous said...

Let's hope that MySpace page isn't a fake. I've heard stories about people meeting players and telling them they're MySpace friends, then being heartbroken when the player says he has no page and is trying to get the fake page deleted.

Anonymous said...

Yanks need to make things spicy again.

Billy Martin, we hardly knew ya...