July 22, 2006

Never Mind

Whew. What was that about momentum? Looks like I picked some good games to miss recently, as the Yankees slipped back to 3 1/2 games behind the Red Sox faster than the papers could come up with new variations on "E-Rod." In fact, Alex Rodriguez is painful to watch right now -- he's famously hard to like very much, but you still hate to see a grown man unravelling on national television. I just hope that the inevitable comparisons to Chuck Knoblauch and his throwing yips are premature, because that was no fun at all -- sportscasters, hide your mothers.

By the way, I love the word "yips". It should be used more often, and in non-baseball contexts. Do you think it's fair to say, for example, that M. Night Shyamalan has the directing yips?

4 comments:

Julian Graham said...

So, uh, Knoblauch recovered, right? Because I've developed a very similar problem with parallel parking, and my second road test is a couple weeks from now. He's still in the majors, right? It's not like he had to stop playing baseball and never got his Second Baseman's License, right?

Emma said...

Hmm. Well, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you there. But on the plus side, he had millions and millions of dollars to live on when he was forced into an early retirement, so... it's sort of a hopeful story if you want to look at it that way.

You didn't run over Keith Olbermann's mother during your road test, did you?

Julian Graham said...

No, but in my last lesson, I failed to notice a pedestrian walk around the back of my car, and Lester said, "She's got the right of way, even if she's a crack whore," a variant on his usual, "Pedestrians have the right of way, even they're Mexicans."

Emma said...

Lester needs his own blog, stat.